So I've started to heal and relax a bit more. The meds that the doc gave me helped a bunch, and now I'm starting to feel more like me. Therefore, I'm back to work! I ended up getting involved in the shin guards and the arm bracers for the Nightsister Asajj costume.
Now...I've been having some issues here lately with my costuming. I feel like the more research I do in the costuming community, the more I feel like I don't really belong. I feel like all of these people have more talent. That their things look better and more professional. That I'm just an amateur and not even in a league of "costuming". And then I remembered that I originally started this to have fun. And as it has developed over the years, I started to pride myself on learning new skills and getting others to realize that they can cultivate their own skills and create things they never even dreamed were possible. I've talked to some new costumers who have good first starts and just need a little push to get their creative juices flowing even faster. That's been really cool to see. And it's neat to see what you're able to create just being "ordinary" and not having skills like leather working or professional make-up artistry or a serger (I have a simple sewing machine, that's it).
So I want to try and get back to who I am. I want to remember that I do this on a budget. I don't go out and spend hundreds of dollars to create something. I try to make something out of nothing and just put a little bit of creativity with it. That being said - my stuff isn't perfect.
I've been working with superglue. It's great. It makes anything stick (except - apparently - velcro and elastic to a plastic tub, which I just find weird). The bad thing about superglue. It gets everywhere. It gets on my fingers. It gets on other pieces of my costuming, which sucks because, really, how do you get superglue off tin? So...I'm chalking my mistakes up to "weathering", and I'll just go with it. ;)
I've been working on the shin guards a lot lately. I cut out my "base" for the guards from a round plastic jug I picked up for a dollar at the Dollar Tree. I actually had two jugs, and they've come in very handy. They make up my base, but they also helped me create the ornamentation at the top and bottom of the shin guards. I then cut out little pieces of tin (from a "For Sale" sign I picked up for around a dollar), and I glued those to the plastic pieces. Then glued everything on to the "base", which I covered using some costume vinyl I had leftover from my original Asajj costume. The design on the guards was a pain in the butt, lemme tell you. I drew the design using Paint.net on my computer (similar to PhotoShop, but free!). And then I replicated the design and sized it down and repeated and etc...until I got the design I wanted. I printed it out on cardstock, and then took 45 minutes to cut out each shape using a x-acto knife. Pain. In. The. Butt.
That being said, I used some paint that I had tested on my fabric months earlier, and just stenciled in the design. Worked pretty well, I think. Lastly, the guards will be held to my boots using a length of elastic and some velcro to allow for adjusting as necessary. Still working on this one as the superglue won't hold my velcro to the elastic (weird), and it won't hold the elastic to the plastic "base" (double weird).
The arm bracers have been a pain, as I couldn't find any fabric that had the look I wanted. So I improvised yet again and used some more leftover costume vinyl. It took a lot of trial and error to find a pattern that worked well with my hands. Lots of basting. Try on. More basting. Adjust shape. Cut. More basting. Adjust shape. Stitch. Pull basting stitches. Etc. It was annoying, but I feel rewarded now! I got an idea from a message board that I should add a little thumb strap to keep the bracers in place, so I sewed that in this evening, and I think they fit pretty well. Now, these will have three little straps that go across the wrist, the mid-forearm and the toward the top of the forearm. I'm still working on those, but I have a model that I'm going to use. My pieces are cut and glued, and I just have to assemble. These will work like bracelets for now; I'm making them on little strips of elastic that will slip over my hand and onto my arm.
That's it for this update. Hey, at least I'm trying to take pictures now. lol I need to get back in the groove of being "me".